These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Fifth Estate Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Fifth Estate (FE) is a U.S. periodical, based in Detroit, Michigan, beginning in 1965, but with staff members across North America who connect via the Internet. Its editorial collective sometimes has divergent views on the magazine addresses but generally shares an anarchist, anti-authoritarian outlook and a non-dogmatic, action-oriented approach to change.
Funded by / Ownership
The Fifth Estate does not clearly state ownership and donations; subscriptions and a store that sells back issues are the primary sources of revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The website is primarily a means to subscribe to the magazine. They offer web content of their more recent publications that highlight their political opposition to capitalism and environmental activism. These political positions are considered left wing in today’s political environment. FE does use occasional emotional language, but all information is well sourced and linked to facts. We cannot find evidence of false claims, and they present an editorial bias the left-wing in nature. Due to little ability to review more info, this is a medium confidence review.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Fifth Estate Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/7/2017) Updated (5/13/2021)
Last Updated on May 13, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am