These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Fifth Column Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that frequently favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources as well as not aligning with the consensus of science on some issues.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2015, The Fifth Column is a news and opinion website that publishes from a mostly progressive perspective. According to their about page “The Fifth Column provides you with insights that aren’t available on other news outlets. With a focus on long-form journalism and exclusive reports, The Column strives for excellence in adversarial journalism. Our exclusive reports find their way into one of our unique sections.”
The website lacks transparency as they do not disclose ownership and article authors do not have detailed bios.
Funded by / Ownership
The Fifth Column does not disclose ownership. Revenue is derived through advertising. There is a link to an online store that is not working at the time of this review.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Fifth Column reports original news and commentary. Headlines are minimal to moderately emotional in a tone such as this Greek Police vs Antifa: ‘we blocked the road, they threw stuff’. This story is sourced to the Questionable Russian Propaganda source RT News. Politically, stories lean left with support for immigration and refugees, while denigrating the Trump administration such as this: World to Refugees: Go to Hell. This story is properly sourced to numerous credible media outlets such as the New Yorker, CBC, and USA Today. The Fifth Column reports negatively on establishment Democrats such as Hillary Clinton, while favoring more progressive candidates such as Bernie Sanders, who they criticized for endorsing Clinton, whom they call a “right-wing candidate.” Further, they consistently report negatively and criticize President Donald Trump.
A factual search reveals they have not been fact-checked by an IFCN fact-checker
Overall, we rate The Fifth Column Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that frequently favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources as well as not aligning with the consensus of science on some issues. (5/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/06/2019)
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am