These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate EUobserver Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Belgium 12/180
Launched in 2000, the EUobserver is an EU-focused not-for-profit online newspaper based in Brussels, Belgium. The EUobserver’s main focus is EU Affairs, European Union institutions, EU policy, and politics. Lisbeth Kirk is the founder and Koert Debeuf is the editor.
Funded by / Ownership
The EUobserver is published by EUobserver.com ASBL, in cooperation with the Group for a Europe of Democracies and Diversities (Eurosceptic political group that in 2004 was renamed Independence/Democracy – IND/DEM). The EUobserver’s revenue is derived from memberships, group subscriptions, and advertising. Further, they report receiving institutional grant support from the Adessium Foundation, which is a humanitarian group that “aspires to a society that encourages people to live in harmony with each other and with their environments.”
Analysis / Bias
Lisbeth Kirk, founder of EUobserver is the wife of Jens-Peter Bonde, a former Danish MEP who was Co-Chair and Chair of the Group for a Europe of Democracies and Diversities as well as for the Independence/Democracy Group. These are Eurosceptic political groups in the European Parliament that lean right. Between 2004 and 2009 Independence/Democracy (IND/DEM) was chaired by Nigel Farage (right-wing populist British politician) and until 2014 it was called Europe of Freedom and Democracy. In 2019, it became Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy and again was chaired by Nigel Farage.
In review, EUobserver publishes articles using headlines with emotionally loaded language and Eurosceptic tone such as “Euroscepticism: The EU’s new normal”, and “EU: China, Russia responsible for Covid-19 disinformation”. When it comes to sourcing the EUobserver utilizes their own correspondents and they source through quotations to credible news outlets such as Deutsche Welle (Center-Left Germany), Die Welt (Center-Right Germany), Le Figaro (Center-Right France), and Süddeutsche Zeitung (Center-Left Germany). In covering the USA, they are critical of Trump administration “Trump’s ‘plan’ for Israel will go against EU values”.
Editorially, the EUobserver holds left-leaning views when it comes to immigration such as this Europe’s migration system is broken: Renew has a plan. This article supports the plans of a group called Renew Europe which holds left-centrists views regarding immigration. They state “By building sustainable partnerships with third countries, we can ensure dignified shelter and reception facilities for refugees close to the home they had to flee.” Further, they frequently report on climate change as being a significant issue for Europe, Use 25% of budget on climate change, urge EU states, and they support the Paris Climate Change Agreement as well as having an entire section dedicated to the environment and climate. In general, they report news factually and use a wide variety of left-leaning and right-leaning sources, however editorially they promote liberal positions on most issues.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate EUobserver Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (8/16/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 12/01/2020)
Last Updated on December 1, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am