These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Edmonton Examiner Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High, due to a lack of transparency with editorial leadership.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
The Edmonton Examiner is a weekly newspaper that is delivered free to Edmonton residents. The website lacks an about page and does not disclose editorial leadership.
Funded by / Ownership
The Edmonton Examiner is owned by PostMedia, which owns several right-leaning media outlets throughout Canada. According to a report in the left-leaning CanadaLand, PostMedia has directed its publications to be more “reliably conservative.” The newspaper is funded through advertising.
Chatham Asset Management, a New Jersey-based hedge fund holds a large equity stake in Postmedia and majority ownership of American Media Inc. which owns the National Enquirer. David Pecker, who owns American Media, Inc. joined the Postmedia board, and then resigned from the board of Postmedia in 2018, due to his involvement of hush payments on behalf of his “friends” including President Trump and Harvey Weinstein.
According to the National Observer, PostMedia is in a downward spiral. After Postmedia announced a $1.4M loss for the last quarter of 2018, Paul Godfrey stepped down as CEO of the Postmedia Network and was replaced by Andrew MacLeod, as of 1/10/2019. Godfrey will remain as executive chair. Godfrey was also criticized for cutting 800 full-time jobs across Postmedia in 2016 while earning an annual salary of $1.7 million. For a list of directors and upper management please see here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Edmonton Examiner covers news, sports, entertainment, and lifestyle for the greater Edmonton area. Local news is reported with minimal bias in wording such as this Downtown library unrecognizable as $84.5 million overhaul starts coming together. National news is covered through a combination of reporters and the Canadian Press. World news is reported through reporters as well as other Postmedia staff with somewhat sensational stories such as this Alleged Epstein accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell fails in bid to stop accusers posting ‘sexualized’ images online.
Editorially, the Edmonton Examiner typically reports negatively on left-leaning Prime Minister Justin Trudeau such as this Trudeau denies, deflects — and apologizes — in testimony to committee looking at WE scandal. In general, they report news factually and hold right-leaning editorial positions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Edmonton Examiner Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High, due to a lack of transparency with editorial leadership. (D. Van Zandt 8/4/2020)
Last Updated on August 4, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am