Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information; therefore, fact-checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate DrNorthrup.com a quackery level pseudoscience website based on consistently promoting false or misleading information regarding science, health and especially Covid-19.
Bias Rating: PSEUDOSCIENCE
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, DrNorthrup.com is the website for Dr. Christiane Northrup. The website publishes holistic health information and routinely publishes pseudoscience misinformation.
According to the about page, “Christiane Northrup, M.D., is a visionary pioneer and a leading authority in the field of women’s health and wellness, which includes the unity of mind, body, emotions, and spirit. Internationally known for her empowering approach to women’s health and wellness, Dr. Northrup teaches women how to thrive at every stage of life. “A board-certified OB/GYN physician, Dr. Northrup graduated from Dartmouth Medical School and completed her residency at Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston. She was also an assistant clinical professor of OB/GYN at Maine Medical Center for 20 years.”
Dr. Northrup has also been featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, the Today Show, NBC Nightly News, The View, Rachael Ray, Good Morning America, 20/20, and The Dr. Oz Show.
Dr. Northrup is no longer a licensed physician.
Funded by / Ownership
Christiane Northrup, Inc owns and operates the website. Advertisements for her published books, an online Bookstore, and a Healthstore where she sells supplements, herbs and other alternative products generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
DrNorthrup.com consists of the sections Health Wisdom, Daily Health Inspiration, and Watch & Listen. The Health Wisdom section is the personal blog of Dr. Northrup, while Watch & Listen consists of Video and Audio clips discussing general health topics. Within this section, you can find pseudoscience such as this How to Use Astrology to Improve Your Life.
Throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, the website has promoted misinformation regarding the virus and vaccines. More on that later. Before Covid-19, Ms. Northrup routinely promoted vaccine hesitation such as this Be One Less…to Get the Gardasil Vaccine. Regarding Covid-19, there is significant evidence that DrNorthrup.com consistently makes false claims related to covid-19. See failed fact checks below. In general, Ms. Northrup promotes quackery level pseudoscience, as evidenced by the promotion of astrology, prayer, and numerous false claims.
Failed Fact Checks
- Ten countries “announced the cancellation of all quarantine procedures, Corona tests, and compulsory vaccination” – Inaccurate
- COVID-19 vaccines cause menstrual problems in women; vaccinated people are causing health problems in unvaccinated people around them – Unsupported
- COVID-19 vaccines rewriting patients’ DNA – False
- Pfizer instructed male COVID-19 vaccine recipients to refrain from donating sperm, to wear condoms and/or be abstinent for at least 28 days after getting a shot. – False
- COVID-19 RNA, also called mRNA, vaccine change a person’s DNA – False
- Coronavirus vaccines “experimental weapons against humanity” – False
Overall, we rate DrNorthrup.com a quackery-level pseudoscience website based on consistently promoting false or misleading information regarding science, health, and especially Covid-19. (D. Van Zandt 02/09/2022)
Last Updated on March 27, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Check Your Factby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 22, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/22/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 22, 2022 at 10:30 am