These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Geo TV Right-Center Biased based on favorable reporting of Prime Minister Imran Khan, which promotes right-wing nationalism and populism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of state propaganda, poor sourcing techniques, and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2002 by Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman, Geo TV is the online arm of Geo News TV channel headquartered in Karachi, Pakistan, with broadcast facilities based in Dubai Media City, United Arab Emirates. Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman is the owner and the Editor-in-Chief of Jang Media Group (owner of Geo Group.) In March 2020, Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman was arrested on corruption charges; he was released after spending months in prison. Opposition groups and activists accuse “PM Imran Khan of targeting journalists who are critical of his government’s performance.”
Apart from providing news as a TV station, it also publishes news on its own website, including entertainment, lifestyles, business, science, sports, and more.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
The owner of Jang Group of Newspapers, which includes Geo TV, Mir Shakil-ur-Rehman, has been critical of the government, and in 2020, he was arrested. In May 2021, Geo News TV suspended its talk show host Hamid Mir for criticizing the military during his talk show. As a result, there is a significant limitation to press freedom as criticism of the government has consequences.
In review, GEO TV reports national news with minimally emotionally loaded headlines: “PM Imran Khan says considering reaching out to insurgent groups in Balochistan.” The wording of the articles is also relatively neutral. Geo TV publishes articles covering the opposition party with emotionally loaded headlines such as “PPP wants PM Imran Khan to apologise for comments on why rape cases are increasing.” They typically source information from themselves or their sister papers such as The News International. Geo TV reports international news sourcing through large quotes; however, they do not provide hyperlinking.
Editorially, they have little choice other than to favor the right-leaning government of Pakistan.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Geo TV Right-Center Biased based on favorable reporting of Prime Minister Imran Khan, which promotes right-wing nationalism and populism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of state propaganda, poor sourcing techniques, and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 7/20/2021)
Last Updated on January 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm