These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate CTV News Least Biased based on balanced story selection and minimal use of emotional language. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Established in 1961 and based in Canada, CTV News is the news division of CTV Television Network. The CTV News website features Canada and world news, politics, sports, entertainment, and more. CTV’s parent company BCE Inc. (Bell Canada Enterprises), was founded by Charles Fleetford Sise in 1880. He was the second president of Bell Canada (The Bell Telephone Company of Canada).
Read our profile on the Canadian government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
CTV Inc. owns CTV, a subdivision of Bell Media Inc., a subsidiary of BCE Inc. (Bell Canada Enterprises), a holding company for Bell Canada. Bell Media is headquartered in East Toronto, Ontario. Gordon M. Nixon is Chair of the Board of both BCE and Bell Canada. George Cope is the President & Chief Executive Officer of BCE and Bell Canada.
CTV News revenue is based on advertising, and you can find financial reports here.
CBC News (Canadian Broadcasting) reports a Government plan titled “Journalists question Liberal government’s $600M media bailout plan’. CTV reports, “Minister vows transparency over $600M media fund, defends inclusion of Unifor”. It is not clear how much funding they received.
Analysis / Bias
Further, CTV News publishes articles written by journalists such as “Truth Tracker: No, Justin Trudeau isn’t converting from Christianity to Islam.” Justin Trudeau is the current Prime Minister of Canada. He is also the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada (Center-Left). When publishing articles regarding conservative Doug Ford, there is slightly loaded language such as this: “Doug Ford’s chief of staff resigns one day after appointment controversy.” This story is sourced from the right-leaning Globe and Mail.
Editorially, CTV News does not endorse political candidates. Further, they do not publish opinion content; however, the website does publish the political blog of Don Martin, who tends to lean right with his posts. Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 71% of respondents trust their news coverage and 12% do not, ranking them #2 in trust among the major English language Canadian news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate CTV News Least Biased based on balanced story selection and minimal use of emotional language. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/28/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 03/28/2022)
Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am