These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Consortium News Left-Center Biased based on story selection and advocacy that mildly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency despite a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Consortium News is an alternative, independent news source established in 1995 by Robert Parry, who passed away in 2018. It is considered the first alternative investigative journalism internet news source. Consortium News covers stories deeply and has been responsible for uncovering scandals and important information that was not found/covered by the mainstream media. The website does not disclose current ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
The website lacks transparency and does not disclose ownership. Funding appears to be derived from donations.
Analysis / Bias
Consortium News has articles that many on the right may consider left-biased: https://consortiumnews.com/2014/04/30/the-fat-cats-of-fast-food/
While also having articles the left won’t like: https://consortiumnews.com/2017/05/19/do-high-level-leaks-suggest-a-conspiracy/
The reporting from consortium news cites itself as trying to find the truth. However, I would say that they often report on things with a left-leaning focus. With articles like the above pro-minimum wage or anything regarding the environment. I can see how some on the left would feel that articles like the above or another titled “Europe May Finally Rethink NATO Costs” can come off as right-leaning. The reality is that truth has no side. Sometimes somebody on the right is correct, and somebody on the left is wrong.
The more significant issue is that the political environment of America has been moving the goal posts, of left and right, to the right for the last 30+ years. Meaning that somebody who is “left” today may, in fact, have been right 20 years ago. Consortium News has experts from various backgrounds and not just pure journalists, which also helps with its reporting to keep it as centered as one can get these days.
They have articles about Hillary, Obama, Bush, and Trump, all of which have negative things to say about them. They cite factual data from real sources and with the minimum usage of loaded wording that you often find in other online-only magazines. I would put this news source in your feed to get a more grounded perspective on many issues that are shaping up today.
The best way to describe Consortium News is Wikileaks, without the leaks. They reject imperialism no matter what side is controlling it. They also often do not have a favorable view of former President Trump: VIPS Memo to the President: Is Pompeo’s Iran Agenda the Same As Yours?
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Consortium News Left-Center Biased based on story selection and advocacy that mildly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency despite a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/3/2016) (M. Allen 6/3/17) Updated (07/29/2022)
Last Updated on July 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am