These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) Least Biased and High factual based on well-sourced credible journalism.
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) is a Washington-based international network launched in 1997 by the Center for Public Integrity which includes 165 investigative journalists in over 65 countries who work together on “issues such as “cross-border crime, corruption, and the accountability of power.” The current director is Gerard Ryle.
Funded by / Ownership
The ICIJ is a non-profit that is funded through donations and according to their about page “Recent ICIJ funders include: Adessium Foundation, Open Society Foundations, The Sigrid Rausing Trust, The Ford Foundation, Fritt Ord Foundation and the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting. We also receive support from Australian philanthropist Graeme Wood.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, the ICIJ website provides investigations, data, and a “global network of 267 investigative journalists in 100 countries who collaborate on in-depth investigative stories.” The primary purpose of this website is to expose and report credibly on stories from strict countries with accuracy. Many times countries limit free journalism and ICIJ covers what may be suppressed such as this Investigating Malaysia’s history, to understand the present. The ICIJ also reports negative on President Donald Trump’s business ties but is always evidence-based such as this Offshore Trove Exposes Trump-Russia links and Piggy Banks of the Wealthiest 1 Percent. In general, this is a low biased source that is factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) Least Biased and High factual based on well-sourced credible journalism. (D. Van Zandt 10/3/2016) Updated (8/29/2020)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am