These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Channel 4 News Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Channel 4 News is the main news program on British television broadcaster Channel 4. It is produced by ITN and has been in operation since Channel 4’s launch in November 1982. The associated website is located at channel4.com/news/.
In March 2018, an undercover investigation by Channel 4 News explored the campaign activities of Cambridge Analytica.
Funded by / Ownership
Channel 4 is owned by the nonprofit Channel Four Television Corporation. Advertising and licensing of their programs generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Channel 4 News website publishes information about their television programming and news stories within the United Kingdom and the world. Many news stories consist of video clips from their television news program. Content on the website is often well-sourced and fact-based with moderate use of loaded emotional language such as this: Exploring N Ireland’s divides as Brexit looms.
Editorially, there is a moderate liberal bias with frequent stories on climate change and opposition to Brexit. Further, they negatively report on former U.S. President Donald Trump and conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson, such as this: DUP says Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal ‘the worst of all worlds.’
Channel 4 News also offers a fact-checking service that is not a part of the IFCN. Further, a Reuters institute survey found that 58% of respondents trust their news coverage and 15% do not, ranking them #3 in trust of the major UK news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Channel 4 News Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/30/2019) Updated (03/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm