These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Reason Magazine Right-Center biased based on story selection that favors Libertarian positions and High for factual reporting due to mostly proper sourcing, and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Reason is an American libertarian monthly magazine published by the Reason Foundation. The magazine has a circulation of around 50,000 and was named one of the 50 best magazines in 2003 and 2004 by the Chicago Tribune. Reason was founded in 1968 by Lanny Friedlander and offers the tagline “free minds and free markets,” covering politics, culture, and ideas with a mix of news, analysis, commentary, and reviews. The current editor is Katherine Mangu-Ward.
Funded by / Ownership
Reason Magazine is owned and published by the Reason Foundation, an American libertarian think tank founded in 1978. They are a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, supported by donations and publication sales. According to disclosures, its largest donors are the David H. Koch Charitable Foundation ($1,522,212) and the Sarah Scaife Foundation ($2,016,000).
Analysis / Bias
In review, Reason Magazine utilizes moderately loaded emotional language in their headlines and articles such as this: The Winningest Losers in Trump’s Trade War. Although this article is clearly an opinion piece, it does not provide hyperlinked sources to support its claims. In another article on their Hit and Run Blog titled: Trump Blames Hurricanes for Growing Budget Deficit. Entitlements Are the Real Problem they utilize numerous credible hyperlinked sources to support their claims.
Editorially, Reason takes Libertarian positions such as low taxes, free markets, low regulations, and socially liberal positions such as Marijuana legalization and pro-abortion rights. Politically, Reason falls within the Right-Center category based on economic positions (right) and socially liberal positions (Left). These positions often put Reason Magazine at odds with President Trump’s agenda regarding tariffs and free trade.
When it comes to low regulations, Reason Magazine resists taking action on climate change. Although they do not deny climate change is occurring and influenced by humans, they minimize the impact in favor of fewer regulations.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Reason Magazine Right-Center biased based on story selection that favors Libertarian positions and High for factual reporting due to mostly proper sourcing, and a clean fact check record. (7/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/15/2020)
Last Updated on April 7, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am