These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate WBZ-TV / CBS Boston Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1948, WBZ-TV or CBS Boston is the CBS–owned TV station serving Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Since 2012, The president of CBS Boston is Mark Lund. For a list of anchors and reporters, please see here.
Funded by / Ownership
WBZ-TV / CBS Boston is a subsidiary of ViacomCBS, which National Amusements, Inc owns. They are operated by the third-generation leadership of the Redstone family. The President of National Amusements and the chairwomen of the company is Shari Ellin Redstone. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WBZ-TV / CBS Boston utilizes emotionally loaded headlines such as “Massachusetts To Sue Trump Administration Over Rollback Of Endangered Species Act” However, CBS Boston always sources their information from credible sources such as the Associated Press and covers the opposition critically as well. For example, in this interview, they are critical of Democratic Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren, “Elizabeth Warren Says Killing Of Iran General Part Of ‘Escalating’ Attacks From Trump.” A quote from the article reads, “That non-response was typical of Warren’s campaign-long reluctance to engage with Sanders (and he with her).” Although this story highlights an interview with Warren, the author provides critical opinions regarding her presidential campaign strategies.
A 2014 Pew Research Survey found that 40% of CBS News’ audience is consistently or primarily liberal, 39% Mixed, and 20% always or mostly conservative. This indicates that a more liberal audience prefers CBS News.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WBZ-TV / CBS Boston Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 1/11/2020) Updated (08/15/2022)
Last Updated on August 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am