These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Brennan Center Left-Center biased based on political affiliation and story selection and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law is a nonprofit law and policy institute that focuses on improving U.S systems of democracy and justice. They were founded in 1995 by the family and former Supreme Court law clerks of Justice William J. Brennan, who served as an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1956 to 1990. President Eisenhower nominated Justice Brennan, known for his progressive views, including opposition to the death penalty and support for abortion rights.
The Brennan Center is headquartered in New York, and Robert A. Atkins and Patricia Bauman co-chair the board. Michael Waldman, a former speechwriter/assistant to President Bill Clinton, is the Brennan Center for Justice president.
Funded by / Ownership
Carnegie Corporation reports that they initially donated a $25,000 grant, followed by increasingly larger amounts over the years that brought the total Carnegie Corporation
investment to $3,650,000. According to The Center for Public Integrity, George Soros’ “Open Society Foundation has given nearly $6 million to Brennan Center since 2002.”
The Brennan Center for Justice’s latest financial report details and charitable solicitation disclosure information can be found at this link. Charity watchdog Charity Navigator rates Brennan Center for Justice on Accountability & Transparency 90/100 or 3 out of 4 stars.
Analysis / Bias
According to their about page, Brennan Center for Justice operates as ”part think tank, a part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub.” Their main focus is voting rights and elections, campaign finance reform, money in politics, government and court reform, justice for all, liberty, and national security.
In review, Brennan Center for Justice excerpts and cross-posts articles from credible sources such as the New York Times. They also publish research and analysis related to their main focus issues such as voting rights: “How Purges Threaten to Disenfranchise Voters Under the Radar” and money in politics such as “Money Is Not Destiny.” Story and analysis selection moderately favors the left based on the issues covered. Generally, information is sourced from factually high left-leaning sources such as The New York Times, Huffington Post, Daily Beast, and Open Secrets.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Brennan Center Left-Center biased based on political affiliation and story selection and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing. (M. Huitsing 7/23/2018) Updated (04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am