These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, We rate Berkeleyside Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in late 2009, Berkeleyside is a local news site reporting on Berkeley and the East Bay of California. Berkeleyside was founded by Tracey Taylor, Lance Knobel, and Frances Dinkelspiel. Frances Dinkelspiel is also the editor of the Berkeleyside.
Berkeleyside’s coverage features news, culture, arts, and entertainment.
Funded by / Ownership
According to their about page, Berkeleyside is a B Corporation (B Corp) which is defined as “a certified B Corps. B is for “benefit,” and B Corps is a new global designation for sustainable businesses.” Revenue is derived through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Berkeleyside’s editorial position states Berkeleyside does not endorse political candidates. Berkeleyside utilizes neutral wording in headlines such as “Gov. Brown pardons Berkeley Ecology Center employee at risk of deportation,” however, in the body of the article, they typically present left-leaning perspectives. Editorial and opinion pieces often favor the left. Berkeleyside usually sources via quotations and utilizes credible sources such as NPR (kqed.org ). They also use sources not known to us, such as advancingjustice-alc.org.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, We rate Berkeleyside Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/5/2018) Updated (03/25/2022)
Last Updated on March 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm