Founded in 1900, the Arizona Capitol Times is a weekly newspaper that focuses on state politics, national news, state legislature, economic development, environment, healthcare, transportation, energy, and much more. Arizona Capitol Times is published on Fridays and is based in Phoenix, Arizona. The Arizona Capitol Times was originally named The Messenger and Arizona Legislative Review before taking the name Arizona Capitol Times in 1982.)
Funded by / Ownership
After Dolan Media’s bankruptcy, Arizona Capitol Times was purchased by GateHouse Media in January 2016 and later renamed Bridge Tower Media. Gatehouse was later purchased by Gannett, who is the current owner. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
According their about page, they describe themselves as “Simply put, we are the nexus between the state government and the public. And we are focused on our niche; if it doesn’t impact politics in Arizona, we don’t cover it.”
Arizona Capitol Times reports news with minimal bias using credible media sources as they typically republish some articles from the Associated Press. State News is reported with minimal loaded words and bias such as “Arizona Capitol Times recognizes McCain, others as 2017 Leaders of the Year in Public Policy” and sourced through quotes. They also cover stories from the left’s perspective “Legislative staffers say pro-Trump supporters called them ‘illegal’ for being dark-skinned” which is sourced through quotes and links to credible videos.
Editorially, op-eds favor the left with commentary such as this Anti-LGBTQ+ elected officials in Arizona must stop infringing on our rights as parents and this Why is GOP bucking Arizonans’ abortion wishes?
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Arizona Capitol Times Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/14/2018) Updated (2/25/2022)
Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am