These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, Areo is mostly an opinion-based magazine that we rate Left-Center based on story selection and moderate democratic views. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information to support their opinions, as well as a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2016, Areo Magazine is a digital-only opinion and analysis magazine. According to their about page, Areo focuses “on current affairs — in particular: humanism, culture, politics, human rights, science, and free expression.” They further state Areo “publishes thoughtful essays from a variety of perspectives compatible with broadly liberal and humanist values. Our contributors are intellectually, professionally, and ideologically diverse and include liberals, conservatives, socialists, libertarians, atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and more.”
In 2018, Areo Magazine admitted perpetrating a hoax by submitting fake grievance studies to peer-reviewed journals, some of which were accepted and published.
Funded by / Ownership
Helen Pluckrose owns the website. They do not disclose funding, though they have a Patreon and donation link.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Areo Magazine primarily publishes articles related to politics, some of which are very long essays. The articles tend to identify with the left, but with caution such as this: The Illegitimate President: Donald Trump and the Faking of Democracy and this Why I’m a Liberal Who Fights the Left, Even in the Age of Trump. This latter article is critical of the far left, stating that they only serve to reinforce the far and alt-right, which is a small group and should not be the primary focus. The author says he is liberal in philosophy but rejects the left’s tactics.
On some issues, Areo leans right; for example, they do not report favorably on Feminism and report on it frequently. They also question transgenderism as a scientific issue and, at the same time, support gay marriage. They also support the consensus of science on climate change. Finally, they favor regulated capitalism rather than democratic socialism when it comes to economics. In general, Areo presents ideas and opinions from both sides depending on the issue, however as a whole, slightly more tend to favor the left (not the progressive left).
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, Areo is mostly an opinion-based magazine that we rate Left-Center based on story selection and moderate democratic views. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information to support their opinions, as well as a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/24/2019) Updated (02/25/2022)
Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am