These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Accountable.US Left Biased based on advocacy for issues preferred by the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency with funding and the occasional use of sources with mixed factual ratings.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2015 as Allied Progress, Accountable.US is a Nonprofit advocacy group that claims to “shine a light on corporations and special interests that too often wield unchecked power and influence in Washington and beyond.” They further state on their about page, “We conduct investigations and bring attention to our findings to help create an economy that works for everyone, a democracy that functions, and a sustainable environment for future generations. We believe corporations and special interests have too much power and the people have too little. It is our mission to address this imbalance.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Action Network, a nonprofit progressive advocacy organization, owns and publishes Accountable.US. Donations generate revenue; however, the website lacks transparency as they do not disclose donors or financial information.
Analysis / Bias
Accountable.US advocates for economic security and limits on corporate power. They promote environmental conservation and concern with climate change, expose extremism, and advocate for corporate values. The website features a corporate donations tracker listing the 500 biggest companies and the recipients of donations. For example, they list the top five corporations or big corporate lobbyists that donated to election objectors since January by the total amount donated. According to Accountable.US, American Bankers Association PAC has donated $255,500. They also list the five election objectors in Congress who received the most in corporate donations since January. In this, Kevin McCarthy has received the most at $364,500.
The website also publishes summarized news stories from other sources such as this Rolling Stone: What Insurrection? Corporate America Can’t Stop Bankrolling the Jan. 6 Sedition Caucus. The news selection often favors the left, reporting negatively on corporations and conservatives. The sources utilized also lean left such as Rolling Stone, The Guardian, Salon, and New York Magazine. In general, Accountable.US reports news and information with a progressive left bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Accountable.US Left Biased based on advocacy for issues preferred by the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency with funding and the occasional use of sources with mixed factual ratings. (D. Van Zandt 02/12/2022)
Last Updated on February 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am