These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, 2ndVote is Right Biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and an unproven claim.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to their about page, 2ndvote was founded in 2013 by Dr. David L. Black, the husband of Republican Representative Diane Black. 2ndvote is based in Nashville, TN. The site describes itself as a Conservative Watchdog for Corporate Activism, which rates the conservative values of retailers and nonprofit groups on issues such as abortion, gay rights, and immigration.
Funded by / Ownership
A Bloomberg article reports that Dr. David Black has spent more than $1 million on 2ndVote. According to Nashville Scene, Dr. David Black and Republican Rep. Diane Black “is one of the wealthiest members of Congress” The website is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
2ndVote frequently uses emotionally loaded headlines such as this Big Tech Strikes Again – Against Research, Science, and Free Speech.
2ndVote primarily rates companies and nonprofits on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 is the most liberal, 5 the most conservative), based on how they donate money to causes. 2ndVote rates these sites based on donation criteria to these causes: Immigration (anti), Life (pro), 2nd Amendment (pro), Education (not public), Marriage (not same-sex), environment (pro-fossil fuel), and religious liberty (for Christians). Here is an example of some ratings: Starbucks 1.0, ACLU 1.4, 7 Eleven 3.0, Abort 73 5.0, NRA 5.0, and the Christian Business Network 5.0. The methodology employed appears to be flawed. They use a 7 point system to rate organizations, but they are not counted if the source does not donate to one of the 7 conservative causes on their criteria. For example, Hobby Lobby scores a 5.0, despite only supporting 3 of the 7 causes with money. It seems some weight should be applied to what they don’t support, such as the 2nd Amendment.
2ndVote has a news section, and the story selection of this section always favors the ideological right. 2ndVote also has a very favorable opinion of Conservatives. When it comes to sourcing, 2ndVote usually provides links to credible right-leaning sources such as Justfactsdaily. However, they sometimes utilize factually mixed factual sources such as Life News. To summarize this site, they are an anti-abortion website that supports a conservative Christian agenda.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, 2ndVote is Right Biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and an unproven claim. (M. Huitsing 10/11/2018) Updated (01/24/2022)
Last Updated on January 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am