The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/24/2022

Each day Media Bias Fact Check selects and publishes fact checks from around the world. We only utilize fact-checkers that are either a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) or have been verified as credible by MBFC. Further, we review each fact check for accuracy before publishing. We fact-check the fact-checkers and let you know their bias. When appropriate, we explain the rating and/or offer our own rating if we disagree with the fact-checker. (D. Van Zandt)

Claim Codes: Red = Fact Check on a Right Claim, Blue = Fact Check on a Left Claim, Black = Not Political/Conspiracy/Pseudoscience/Other

Fact Checker bias rating Codes: Red = Right-Leaning, Green = Least Biased, Blue = Left-Leaning, Black = Unrated by MBFC

You are viewing this page ad-free
See all MBFC content Ad-Free

FALSE Claim via Social Media: “If every person on earth just recycled, stopped using plastic straws, and drove an electric car, 100 corporations would still produce 70% of total global emissions.”

Politifact rating: False (Of the total emissions attributed to fossil fuel producers, companies are responsible for around 12% of the direct emissions; the other 88% comes from the emissions released from consumption of products.)

No, 100 corporations do not produce 70% of total greenhouse gas emissions

BLATANT
LIE
Claim by Arizona GOP Chairwoman Kelli Ward (R): Implying ballots will be thrown out: “Hey, Maricopa County: why is this window in the envelope needed when ballots are mailed out?”

The Dispatch rating: False (outbound envelopes have been this way for 20 years.)

Fact Check: Are Arizona Election Workers Breaking the Law with Mail-In Ballots?

MOSTLY
FALSE
Claim by Charlie Christ (D): Ron DeSantis “opposes any background checks on guns, even for violent criminals.”

Politifact rating: Mostly False (No record of DeSantis speaking out against existing federal and state law, which requires licensed gun dealers to check prospective buyers’ backgrounds. DeSantis said he would sign a “constitutional carry” bill. If passed, the law may allow people who evaded background checks to carry firearms publicly.)

Charlie Crist’s ad attacks Ron DeSantis on gun background checks

BLATANT
LIE
Claim via Social Media: After U.S. President Joe Biden was diagnosed with COVID-19 in July 2022, former President Donald Trump released a statement wishing Biden a speedy recovery because “no one wants Kamala [Harris]” as president.

AP Fact Check rating: False (Trump did not make a statement.)

Trump did not issue statement on Biden’s COVID-19 diagnosis

BLATANT
LIE
Claim via Social Media: Benadryl can be used to reduce swelling from rattlesnake bites.

Politifact rating: False (GO TO THE HOSPITAL: The only known drug effective for treating venomous snakebites is antivenom, also known as antivenin, specific to the snake that inflicted the bite.)

Benandryl won’t relieve swelling from rattlesnake bites

FALSE (International: Ukraine): Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has a monthly income of $11 million.

FactCheck.org rating: False (Unsupported)

Social Media Posts Make Unsupported Claims About Zelensky’s Income, Net Worth

Disclaimer: We are providing links to fact checks by third-party fact-checkers. If you do not agree with a fact check, please directly contact the source of that fact check.

Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources

Subscribe With Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to MBFC and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 23,719 other subscribers

Be the first to comment on "The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/24/2022"

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.