Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1982, the American Foreign Policy Council (AFPC) is a non-profit dedicated to providing information about foreign policy, which is largely chaired by conservatives and officials that served in conservative Presidential administrations. The current President is Herman Pirchner, Jr. with Newt Gingrich serving as a board member.
Funded by / Ownership
American Foreign Policy Council is a 501(c)3 non-profit located in Washington, DC. Revenue is derived through donations. Funding for AFPC comes from some of the following:
- Carthage Foundation
- Earhart Foundation
- Sarah Scaife Foundation
- Smith Richardson Foundation
- William H. Donner Foundation
Analysis / Bias
In review, AFPC publishes strategic reports and other reports monitoring the policy progress of other countries from a conservative standpoint (particularly Russia, China, countries in the Middle East and in Asia). The website features a section called “publications” which shows articles published in other publications by AFPC members. Some of the sources they are published in are The Hill and The Diplomat. Another section is entitled news and events, which highlights AFPC events.
Editorially, AFPC leans conservative. For example, while they don’t deny human influenced climate change, they advocate for free market approaches for the solutions. When reporting on President Trump they offer mixed opinions such as these: Why the Trump Administration’s Central Asia Strategy Improves Over Its Predecessors and this critical article Trump is missing an opportunity in Hong Kong.
A factual search reveals they have failed a fact check.
- The Obama administration offered “$900 million to Hamas, a recognized terrorist organization, to rebuild Gaza.” – False
Overall, we rate the American Foreign Policy Council Right Biased based on editorial positions that usually favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual, rather than High due to a failed a fact check and a lack of transparency with funding. (7/12/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 3/11/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am