These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Angus Reid Institute Right-Center biased based on polling that tends to favor right leaning issues and High for factual reporting due to utilizing credible sources and for serving as a data source for an IFCN fact checker.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 18/180
Launched in 2014 by pollster & sociologist, Angus Reid, The Angus Reid Institute is a Canadian public opinion research foundation. The Angus Reid Institute provides public opinion polling information, marketing and social research services to the private and public sectors. The Angus Reid Institute also has a tracking poll which measures Prime Minister Trudeau’s job approval rating. Angus Reid polls are conducted using the Angus Reid Forum, which is an online survey panel and as of 2018 it moved to Maru Voice Canada. The Angus Reid Institute utilizes technology created by Vision Critical, a research software start up, specialized in services for marketing research and polling. In 2016, they sold off the research and consulting business to focus on its marketing-intelligence software. Dr. Angus Reid is the Chairman and Shachi Kurl is the Executive Director of the Angus Reid Institute.
Read our profile on Canadian government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2000, Ipsos (Paris based market research company) acquired the Angus Reid Group. The Angus Reid Institute states that they are funded through “an initial endowment from the Reid family and project-based funding provided by fellow not-for-profit organizations and selected partners in Canada.” They do not fully disclose these organizations and the level funding received.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Angus Reid Institute utilizes emotionally loaded language in its articles such as “Canadians aren’t as accepting as we think — and we can’t ignore it, writes Angus Reid” and “Truths of reconciliation: Canadians are deeply divided on how best to address Indigenous issues.” Angus Reid also frequently performs polls that analyze the importance of religion in society such as this: “Spirituality in a changing world: Half say faith is ‘important’ to how they consider society’s problems”.
Angus Reid’s polls have faced criticism by The Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC) “Angus Reid Takes Sides – With the Anti-Choice” and also criticism regarding right leaning bias “Canada’s hate-on for Omar Khadr: how Angus Reid’s (really) bad poll fueled a Conservative party “outrage” hoax”.
Angus Reid discloses how they conduct surveys through online research and how random sampling is not possible in an era of anti-spam regulations. They also often use credible sources such as The Star, Statistics Canada (national statistical office), CBC News (Canadian Broadcasting), and Global News.
Overall, we rate the Angus Reid Institute Right-Center biased based on polling that tends to favor right leaning issues and High for factual reporting due to utilizing credible sources and for serving as a data source for an IFCN fact checker. (M. Huitsing 4/18/2019) Updated (2/24/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am