Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) is an independent, non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization based in Washington, D.C. that addresses federal budget and fiscal issues. CRFB focuses on many issues including deficit reduction, “entitlement” reform, fundamental tax reform, improving the budget process, and other topical issues as they arise. It was founded in 1981 by former United States Representatives Robert Giaimo (D-CT) and Henry Bellmon (R-OK), and its board of directors includes former Members of Congress and directors of the Office of Management and Budget, the Congressional Budget Office and the Federal Reserve.
Funded by / Ownership
The CRFB is a part of the New America Foundation (NAF), a 501(c)(3) that receives considerable funding from the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The CRFB is primarily concerned with reducing the federal budget generally through entitlement reform. The website offers news and a blog that uses minimal loaded words such as this Treasury Reports $63 Billion Deficit for July, Pushing FY 2020 Total to $2.8 Trillion. This story is sourced to the Treasury Department. When reporting on political issues they remain mostly neutral with stories such as this How Much Would President Trump’s Executive Orders Cost?
Editorially, CRFB generally aligns with the right when it comes to fiscal matters, however, they report on climate change from a pro-science perspective that evaluates economics rather than the actual science of climate change. In general, information is presented factually with a very slight right lean when it comes to budgets.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, they are frequently used by IFCN fact-checkers to evaluate budget claims.
Overall, we rate The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) slightly Right-Center Biased based on advocacy for a reduction in entitlement spending. We also rate them Very High in factual reporting based on regularly being used as a resource for IFCN fact-checkers. (D. Van Zandt 9/7/2016) Updated (8/13/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am