These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Global News Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1994, Global News is the news and current affairs division of Global Television Network in Canada, overseeing all local and national news programming on the network’s fifteen owned-and-operated stations. According to their about page, “Globalnews.ca offers Canadians a host of news and information from coast to coast – from breaking news in their community to deep, engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective.” You can also view their staff listing on the about page.
Read our profile on the Canadian government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Global News is owned by Corus Entertainment, a Canadian mass media and broadcasting company and spin-off of Shaw Communications. Advertising generates revenue for the station.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Global News presents fair, balanced, well-sourced, and factual news in its reporting. Local news is written through staff writers and contains minimally loaded language such as this: Penticton shootings: John Brittain charged with murder following B.C. shooting spree. World News is also written by Global News writers and from Reuters and the Associated Press. Those articles that are not direct carryovers contain a slight Left Bias, although the reporting is, again, well-sourced and factual.
This review is only based on GN’s political reporting. While this reviewer is no expert on Canadian politics, the articles I read on those subjects appeared to have a slight Left Bias. Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 71% of respondents trust their news coverage and 12% do not, ranking them #1 in trust among the major English language Canadian news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Global News Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Kelley 12/1/2017) Updated (03/28/2022)
Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am