Founded in 1931, Xinhua News Agency or New China News Agency is the official state-owned news agency in the People’s Republic of China. Xinhua News Agency’s headquarters are located in Beijing. Xinhua News Agency provides daily coverage of business, politics, economics, sport, sci-tech, culture, etc. English.news.cn is the English language version of the news agency.
Reporters without Borders have reported China as the “World’s leading prison for citizen journalists.” According to their 2021 report, China ranks 177 out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index.
Funded by / Ownership
Xinhua is owned by the People’s Republic of China and is funded by the sale of its news content, similar to Reuters. They lack transparency as they do not disclose they are an arm of the government.
Analysis / Bias
The content of headlines and articles use minimal loaded words pertaining to national news such as “Xi stresses real combat training” or “Xi says senior officials “crucial” in Party, state governance.” Their US coverage also utilizes minimally loaded headlines and least biased but selective pro-Chinese coverage “Analysis: U.S.-DPRK relations to be Trump’s biggest 2018 foreign policy challenge, experts say.” Although they completely lack linked sourcing, they provide credible sources such as Brookings Institute, Stratfor, and Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress, through quotes.
According to a Newsweek article, “IS CHINA’S XINHUA THE FUTURE OF JOURNALISM?” By opening more overseas bureaus and expanding its business, Xinhua News Agency is similar to what “China’s state-run factories have done for tawdry baubles and cheap clothes: take something that has become a commodity and foist it onto the world far more cheaply than anyone else can. “It gives them an inherent competitive advantage.”
Further, according to CNBC, in 2017, Xinhua News Agency mocked Indians by releasing a satirical video named the “Seven Sins of India.” The Chinese government has also banned certain words that the media can use in reporting.
Editorially, there is a strong left-wing bias with the endorsement of economic socialism and pro-Government propaganda What will a modern socialist China bring to the world?. Furthermore, Xinhua cannot seem to glorify Xi Jinping enough. In other words, they frequently promote government propaganda and are heavily censored.
Failed Fact Checks
- None found. They report only pro-Chinese government stories.
Overall, we rate Xinhua English Left biased based on editorials that endorse socialism/communism. We also rate them Questionable due to poor sourcing and the publication of one-sided pro-Government propaganda. (D. Van Zandt 11/17/2021)
Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am