Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate Veterans Today a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy website that frequently promotes antisemitism. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks and promotion of misleading information.
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2003 by John Allen Veterans Today is a news and opinion website that generally promotes conspiracies related to the military and Israel. According to their about page “VT is dedicated to providing comprehensive news, information, and advocacy to U.S Military Veterans and the greater global community.” They further state “Editors and writers are NOT employees or contractors of VT. They receive NO salary or fee for their content. They control all their content. VT does NOT censor or vet their articles.” Veteran’s Today lists their board and staff here.
Funded by / Ownership
Veterans Today claims to be under an LLC of the same name, however, we are unable to find its existence. Revenue is derived through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Veterans Today has been labeled an Antisemitic hate group as well as Pro-Kremlin. Article and headlines often contain loaded emotional language such as this Russia strongly supports cancelling US election to keep puppet Trump in office. This story is essentially unsourced, though there is one link to Russian propaganda source Sputnik News. In general, Veterans Today hold a very negative view of President Trump such as this WaPo: Election Rigging Underway with Trump Abuses of Power.
Veterans Today routinely publishes conspiracy theories such as claiming 9/11 was orchestrated by Israel as well as claiming Julian Assange and Wikileaks are controlled by Israel. They frequently display antisemitic views such as promoting holocaust denial The six-million figure: another holocaust lie and the lying liars who enable it. The Anti-Defamation League has described VT as a “website that presents anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.” Further, according to The Jerusalem Post, the website has published “articles defending Hitler, and promotes Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke and the anti-semitic musician Gilad Atzmon.”
When not promoting hate, Veterans Today frequently publishes false and misleading information as seen below in our failed fact checks. In general, they are a tin foil hat conspiracy website that routinely promotes antisemitic messages.
Failed Fact Checks
- Claimed that the CIA official in charge of the U.S. operation that killed Qassem Soleimani, commander of the elite Quds Force of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), died in the crash. – Unsupported
- “Israel dropped a tactical nuclear weapon on the port of Beirut.” – False
- Has Russian President Vladimir Putin issued a warrant for the arrest of George Soros? – False
- Conspiracy claims that Syrian gas attack was ‘false flag’ are unproven – False
Overall, we rate Veterans Today a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy website that frequently promotes antisemitism. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks and promotion of misleading information. (8/10/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/06/2020)
Last Updated on August 6, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am