These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Variety Magazine Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1905, Variety Magazine and the website features breaking entertainment news, reviews, box office results, cover stories, videos, photo galleries, and more, plus a credits database, production charts, and calendar, with archive content dating back to 1905.
Funded by / Ownership
Variety is owned by Penske Media Corporation, which is an American digital media, publishing, and information services company based in Los Angeles and New York City. It publishes more than 20 digital and print brands, including Deadline Hollywood, Rolling Stone, WWD, BGR, and others. PMC’s Chairman and CEO since founding is Jay Penske. Advertising, sponsored content, and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Variety Magazine typically produces original news content about the entertainment industry. Headlines are usually straightforward and low-biased such as this: ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Heading for Lackluster $27 Million Launch. Some headlines are slightly sensationalized regarding celebrities, but for the most part, information is sourced accurately and the headlines describe the news story.
Editorially, Variety Magazine reports on politics as it relates to the entertainment industry. In other words, they offer minimal opinions. However, when covering former President Trump they typically are negative and use loaded emotional language such as this: Gloria Steinem on Whether Trump Should Be Impeached: ‘He Was Never Elected’. In general, Variety Magazine reports factually and displays a left-leaning bias when covering politics.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Variety Magazine Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/02/2019) Updated (05/10/2022)
Last Updated on May 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am