Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Hate Group
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Understanding the Threat claims to empower citizens, elected officials, and police to dismantle the Marxist/communist and jihadi networks inside the United States and re-establish America’s founding principles in their communities. What this really means is Understanding the Threat promotes far-right propaganda about Islam and the political left.
Funded by / Ownership
UTT President John Guandolo owns the organization. Donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
UTT claims to provide threat-focused strategic and operational consultation, education, and training for federal, state, and local leadership and agencies in government, the private sector, and for private citizens. The blog articles utilize loaded emotional wording such as this Afghanistan Crumbles While Secretary of the Navy Tells Sailors Most Pressing Problems include Climate Change and Covid. Further articles are usually not sourced to verifiable information. Understanding the Threat is also classified as an active hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. In general, they are a low credibility source with far-right bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- Third-Party Fact-Checkers have not checked them.
Overall, we rate Understanding the Threat far-right biased and Questionable due to the promotion of propaganda, poor sourcing, and its classification as a hate group. (D. Van Zandt 8/31/2017) Updated (9/3/2021)
Last Updated on September 3, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm