These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Times Colonist Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Founded in 1884, The Times Colonist is an English-language daily newspaper in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The current publisher and editor is Dave Obee.
Funded by / Ownership
The Times Colonist is owned by TC Publication Limited Partnership under Glacier Media. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Times Colonist publishes sports, weather, national, world and local news for the greater Victoria, BC region. Local news is reported factually and with minimal bias such as this Sandstone development plan a ‘game changer for south Nanaimo’. National news is typically republished from the Canadian Press while world news is from the Associated Press.
Editorially, The Times Colonist has a section dedicated to cannabis news. Op-eds tend to favor the left with stories such as this Healing the planet through global collaboration. In general, this paper offers a moderately liberal perspective and reports news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Times Colonist Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (8/30/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/6/2020)
Last Updated on August 6, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds