These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TheJournal.ie Left-Center Biased based on social democratic editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Ireland 13/180
Founded in 2010, TheJournal.ie is an online news website based in Dublin, Ireland. They focus on breaking news, in-depth reporting, opinion, and exclusives. According to their about page, The emphasis is on Irish news within the global context. Susan Daly is the Managing Editor of TheJournal.ie.
Funded by / Ownership
TheJournal.ie is owned by Journal Media Ltd. Journal Media also owns Fora, as well as sister titles, The42 and DailyEdge. Daily Edge and Fora no longer produce content due to a decline in advertising. Brothers Brian and Eamonn Fallon is the owner of Journal Media who also founded Distilled Media. In 2015, Distilled Media merged with Oslo-based Schibsted Media Group to create the Distilled Sch joint venture. The combined company also controls the classifieds site DoneDeal and online marketplace Adverts.ie. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TheJournal.ie publishes editorials with emotionally loaded language such as this “’Trump should have no place in your remarks about Irish media, Taoiseach’” and loaded headlines in an interview with Allan Kelly leader of Irish Labor Party (Center-Left) “It’s like Jesus, they’re back’: Alan Kelly on FF’s return, Coveney’s garda car ‘shame’, and advice for the Greens”. Politically, op-eds mostly align with the left on the issues. For example, in this op-ed: Malcolm Byrne: I worry we are entering a Trumpian era of divided politics in Ireland and this To tackle income poverty and inequality, we need to fully understand the complexities of the data.
TheJournal.ie is also an IFCN fact checker with fact checks such as this “FactCheck: Does abortion increase the risk of a woman developing breast cancer?” They utilize credible sources such as rte. ie and the britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. Local news is covered through journalists with minimal loaded words such as this “Coronavirus: Four deaths and 344 new cases confirmed in Ireland.” International news does occasionally use loaded words, sometimes directed at former President Donald Trump “Trump throws transition into turmoil while refusing to concede. ” In general, TheJournal.ie holds a left-leaning editorial bias and is factual in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. They are an IFCN fact-Checker
Overall, we rate TheJournal.ie Left-Center Biased based on social democratic editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/29/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 11/21/2020)
Last Updated on November 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am