These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Winchester Star Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that consistently lean right and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1886, The Winchester Star is a daily newspaper based in Winchester, Virginia covering the Shenandoah Valley area. The current Managing Editor is Maria Hileman. In March of 2018, The Winchester Star was bought by Ogden Newspapers, Inc, which is well-known to produce papers with right leaning editorial bias. In fact, since 1992, Ogden Newspapers, Inc has donated $408 thousand dollars to political parties, 93% of which went to Republicans.
Funded by / Ownership
The Winchester Star was owned by the Byrd Family since 1897, however, in March of 2018, the paper was bought by The Ogden Newspapers, Inc., which publishes numerous small-market newspapers around the eastern half of the USA. The paper is funded through both advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Winchester Star reports local news through reporters and utilizes minimal loaded words such as this: If shutdown drags on, region may suffer economic hit. National news is syndicated via the least biased Associated Press. Editorially, the Winchester Star typically endorses Republican candidates, however, in 2016 they endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. The Opinion page has a section called “Our View” that presumably reflects the editorial positions of the newspaper. The stories in this section consistently lean right with headlines such as this: Trump a one-termer, by choice?. Further, Ogden Newspapers Inc. has faced scrutiny for directing its newspapers to endorse Republican candidates.
A factual search reveals that they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Winchester Star Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that consistently lean right and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing. (D. Van Zandt 12/27/2018) Updated (10/22/2019)
Last Updated on November 15, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am