These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Sumter Item, Right-Center biased based on minimally biased straight news reporting and strongly right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1894, The Sumter Item is an independent, morning newspaper published in Sumter, South Carolina, by Osteen Publishing Company. The current editor is Vince Johnson.
Funded by / Ownership
The newspaper is owned by Osteen Publishing Company, which is headed by Graham and Kyle Osteen. In 2011, the Osteen’s purchased four weekly publications and corresponding websites in the Jacksonville, Florida area: Clay Today, Clay County Leader, the Ponte Vedra Recorder, and The Car Connection, a weekly magazine serving Jacksonville-area auto dealers. The Sumter Item is funded through advertising and fee-based subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Sumter Item reports local news via journalists with minimal bias such as this: Sumter school board holding called meeting Tuesday night. National and International news comes directly from the Associated Press. Editorially, there is a significant lean right, with most op-ed’s favoring the right such as this: Racism liberals don’t recognize is really their own. Here is another example of a right-leaning editorial: Impeachment is just a liberal fantasy. In general, straight news reporting has a minimal bias, however, editorially this is a strong right biased newspaper.
A factual search reveals The Sumter Item has not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate The Sumter Item, Right-Center biased based on minimally biased straight news reporting and strongly right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/12/2019)
Last Updated on November 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am