Founded in 2010, The Other 98% describe themselves via their about page as “50% Media Lab. 50% Direct Action Crew. 100% Committed to fighting Trump’s Agenda.” The Other 98% is a non-profit activist group that is “tired of corporate control of our government, our institutions, and our planet.” Their primary mission is to get money out of politics and reduce the corporate influence.
Funded by / Ownership
The Other 98% is owned by Other98 Action and is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Other 98% has very strong left-wing bias through story selection and political affiliation that favors the left. There is significant use of loaded language such as this: If you want Trump to deport DACA kids, you’re not a patriotic Christian, you’re an asshole. When it comes to the sourcing of information there is very little hyperlinking, therefore it is difficult to determine the credibility and if their reporting is factual. In short, this is a propaganda source that tends to mislead, especially via social media through the sharing of inaccurate memes.
Failed Fact Checks (Here is a short sampling of a few of them)
- Misleading Meme Pits Acosta Against ‘Neo Nazi’ – MISLEADING
- Viral image about Democratic senators and ‘big pharma’ is misleading – MOSTLY FALSE
- Did Fox News Discuss the ‘War on Christmas’ While Other Networks Covered Michael Cohen’s Guilty Pleas? – FALSE
- Facebook graphic misrepresents Trump’s $12 billion aid package to farmers after China tariffs – MOSTLY FALSE
- Is it Legal for a Migrant ‘Fleeing Violence’ to Enter the U.S. Without Authorization? – MOSTLY FALSE
- Says Fox News anchor Shepard Smith stepped down after Attorney General William Barr “had a closed door meeting with Rupert Murdoch.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate the Other 98% Questionable based on strong left-wing bias and a very poor fact check record. (11/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/12/2018)