These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Oklahoman Right-Center Biased due to editorial positions that favor the Republican party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180 (2020)
Founded in 1889, The Oklahoman is the largest daily newspaper in Oklahoma and is the only regional daily that covers the Greater Oklahoma City area.
Funded by / Ownership
The Oklahoman is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Oklahoman covers local news through journalists with minimal bias in reporting such as this, Horn opposes her party’s $3 trillion coronavirus relief package. National and international news comes from other Gatehouse/Gannett publications and the Associated Press. In general, news reporting is low biased and factual.
Editorially, the Oklahoman has long been known as a conservative paper and although in 2016 they did not endorse a Presidential candidate they did make this statement: “it’s crucial voters elect Republican majorities in Congress to counteract the bad policies likely to come from our next president.” A thorough review of editorials and opinion pieces reveal a mostly balanced left-right selection with a few more opinion pieces favoring the right. In general, news reporting is factual with a right-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Oklahoman Right-Center Biased due to editorial positions that favor the Republican party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/18/2016) Updated (5/14/2020)
Last Updated on May 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am