These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Journal slightly Right-Center biased based on ownership affiliation and editorial positions that slightly lean conservative. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1907, The Journal is a daily newspaper based in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and serving Berkeley, Jefferson, and Morgan counties in the state’s Eastern Panhandle. The current editor is Christopher Kinsler.
Funded by / Ownership
The Journal is owned by Ogden Newspapers Inc., which publishes numerous small-market newspapers around the eastern half of the USA. Ogden has historically donated to Republican candidates. According to Open Secrets, since 1992 they have donated 93% to Republicans. Robert Nutting is the current CEO. The paper is funded through both advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Journal produces original news covering most of West Virginia. Headlines and articles contain minimal emotional language such as this: Justice stands by state board decision to take away remote learning option. National and international news is republished from the Associated Press.
Editorially, the paper does not endorse Presidential candidates, however, in local elections, they tend to favor more Republican candidates. A review of editorial commentary shows a reasonable balance between right and left without delving into extremes, however slightly more op-ed’s favor the right. In general, the news is reported factually with a slight conservative bias editorially.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Journal slightly Right-Center biased based on ownership affiliation and editorial positions that slightly lean conservative. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 01/17/2021)
Last Updated on January 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds