- Overall, we rate TechStartups Right-Center Biased and Questionable based on a complete lack of transparency, poor sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and misinformation regarding the Coronavirus.
Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Poor Sourcing, Conspiracy, Misinformation
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2017, TechStartups is a website publishing news about technology start-ups, science, and medicine. According to their about page, “Our goal is to help tech startup companies, especially the underdogs, find customers, funding, mentors by connecting them to the right investors, early adopters, decision-makers and resources to grow their companies. Techstartups.com is also a platform for you to explore exciting and new products from innovative startups and be part of their success stories.”
The website completely lacks transparency as they do not list author names, ownership, or how they are funded.
Funded by / Ownership
TechStartups does not disclose ownership, and revenue appears to be derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TechStartups publishes under the categories News, Press Releases, Product Reviews, Crowdfunding Campaigns, and Startup Jobs. For this review, we will focus on their news reporting. TechStartups does not perform investigative reports but rather summarizes news from other sources. There is minimal use of loaded language in headlines like this: Amazon to hire an additional 75,000 full and part-time employees as demand rises due to coronavirus. This story is appropriately sourced to Amazon.
Since the Covid-19 pandemic, TechStartups has been reporting heavily on the science and medicine of Corona. They frequently report on Hydroxychloroquine, which has not yet been tested or proven effective in the treatment of Covid-19. They have also made false and misleading statements such as this The United Arab Emirates has successfully used Hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus (COVID-19) patients, UAE health ministry says. They have also minimized Coronavirus as fearmongering such as this MIT biologist says fear-mongering on coronavirus will go down as biggest fraud to manipulate economies. Finally, they have also published articles that point toward a conspiracy when counting deaths from covid-19 New CDC data shows that hospitals counted heart attacks as COVID-19 deaths; CDC counts over 51,0000 patients actually died from heart attacks instead of COVID-19.
Editorially, TechStartups does not publish opinion-based political content; however, they tend to favor former President Trump with loaded headlines such as this President Trump doubles down on antimalaria drugs Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) and Azithromycin even as FDA and CDC fail to help Americans suffering from coronavirus. Further, they frequently report on clean energy and support the consensus that climate change is human-influenced. In general, they lean right and frequently promote misinformation and conspiracy theories.
Failed Fact Checks
- “By administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient” – Mostly False
- “Bill Gates talked about using vaccines to control population growth” in an “unedited 2010 TED Talk video” – False
Overall, we rate TechStartups Right-Center Biased and Questionable based on a complete lack of transparency, poor sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and misinformation regarding the Coronavirus. (D. Van Zandt 4/13/2020) Updated (11/29/2021)
Last Updated on November 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am