Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2020 by former police officer Brandon Tatum, the Tatum Reports publishes news and commentary from a conservative perspective. Tatum resigned from the Tucson Police Department in October 2017 to join Liftable Media — a conservative content producer that owns and operates The Western Journal. He then served as director of urban engagement for the conservative action group Turning Point USA before founding his own media company.
According to their about page, “While largely political in nature, the site is designed to be a comprehensive news site that keeps its readers up to date on the prevailing news of the day, as well as providing specific direction about how they can make a difference.”
The website lacks transparency as they do not clearly indicate that Brandon Tatum is the owner, nor do they disclose their conservative perspective.
Funded by / Ownership
The Tatum Report lacks transparency as they do not clearly list who owns them; however, it indicates Tatum Report LLC on the donation page. Advertising, a store that sells merchandise and donations, fund the website.
Analysis / Bias
The Tatum Report features original reporting based on news reporting from other sources. Articles and headlines contain moderately loaded language such as this DeSantis Lobbies Unanimous Vote Banning Critical Race Theory. This story is properly sourced to a local TV station First Coast News. News is broken down into categories such a politics with stories like this Rep. Byron Donalds Will Not Stand For CNN’s Nonesense. Another category is law enforcement, which reports on police actions often in a favorable light. Finally, the website also republishes news from the Questionable Right Biased Western Journal.
Editorially, all stories favor the right and sometimes denigrates the left. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the Tatum Report focused on anti-lock down measures such as this Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis: ‘We Are An Oasis of Freedom… In A Country Under The Yoke Of Oppressive Lockdowns’. When reporting on the 2020 Presidential Election, they often promoted stories about election fraud which has been debunked. In general, the Tatum Report is strongly right-biased and sometimes promotes conspiracy theories that are ultimately not true.
Failed Fact Checks
- Brandon Tatum via Facebook: “Washington Post ends fact-checking for Biden for the remainder of his presidency.” – False
- None directly connected to the website.
Overall, we rate the Tatum Report Far-Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that always favor a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency, the use of poor sources, and occasionally promoting conspiracy theories. (D. Van Zandt 6/14/2021)
Last Updated on February 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am