These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Switzerland 6/180
Founded in 1999, swissinfo.ch or SWI is a ten-language news and information platform (since 2013 Russian, in addition to English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Arabic and Japanese) produced by the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation International Service based in Bern, Switzerland. According to the SWI about page, “swissinfo also provides specific information for the Swiss abroad to assist them in exercising their political rights in Switzerland (vote dossiers).” Further, SWI states its mission as “To cover events in Switzerland and to offer a Swiss perspective on international events.” Larissa M. Bieler is the editor since 2016.
Funded by / Ownership
SWI – swissinfo.ch is owned by the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation / SRG SSR which is a non-profit organization, funded mainly through radio and television license fees (70%) and making the remaining income from advertising and sponsorship.
Analysis / Bias
SWI delivers news from politics and business to sports, lifestyle, special reports, and entertainment. SWI reports national news with minimally loaded words: “Swiss vocational training serves as a model for others” and “Pollsters wager voters will approve gambling law.” Swissinfo frequently uses credible government and media sources such as ednc.org, vpet-congress.ch, ncee.org, channelnewsasia.com, The Pan African News Agency, World Bank, and Fortune Magazine. Further, under the category business, SWI republishes articles from Bloomberg, and under the category politics, they republish articles from Reuters.
Overall, we rate, SWI – swissinfo.ch Left-Center biased based on slightly favoring left-leaning issues and HIGH for factual reporting due to their articles being well sourced to credible media. (M. Huitsing 6/4/2018)
Last Updated on December 2, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am