These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Stuff Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: New Zealand
World Press Freedom Rank: New Zealand 9/180
Founded in 2000, Stuff is a New Zealand news website and is also the most popular news website in New Zealand. Stuff publishes New Zealand breaking news, weather, sport, politics, video, entertainment, business, and life and style content from Stuff Ltd’s newspapers.
Funded by / Ownership
Stuff is owned by Stuff Limited, which is a privately held news media company operating in New Zealand. They also publish nine daily newspapers, including New Zealand’s second and third-highest circulation daily newspapers, The Dominion Post and The Press, and the highest circulation weekly, Sunday Star-Times. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
Although political censorship exists in New Zealand, it is limited. According to Reporters without borders, New Zealand ranks 9 out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index.
In review, Stuff covers a variety of news including “National, World, Business, Opinion, Sport, Entertainment, Life & Style.” Local and New Zealand national news is conducted through reporters and utilizes minimal bias such as this Man shot in Wellsford, homicide investigation under way. World news is reported through Stuff reporters as well as outside outlets such as the Associated Press, Bloomberg and The Telegraph.
Editorially, Stuff leans left with concern for climate change Working from home: What’s your carbon footprint? and favorable reporting on the left-leaning labour party leader and current prime minister Jacinda Ardern such as this US presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg uses Jacinda Ardern as age example during debate. In general, the news is reported factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Stuff Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 8/29/2017) Updated (11/28/2020)
Last Updated on November 28, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am