These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Sojourners Left-Center Bias based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Sojourners magazine is a progressive monthly publication of the Christian social justice organization Sojourners, which arose out of the Sojourners Community. It was first published in 1971 under the original title of The Post-American. The magazine publishes editorials and articles on Christianity and politics, the church and social issues, social justice, and Christian living. According to their about page, “Sojourners is an independent, award-winning print and online magazine of faith, culture, and politics. Our mission is to inspire hope and action by articulating the biblical call to racial and social justice, life and peace, and environmental stewardship.” The current editor-in-chief is Sandi Villarreal.
Funded by / Ownership
Sojourners Magazine is owned and published by Sojourners, a nonprofit organization. Advertising, grants, donations, and subscriptions generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Sojourners covers politics, Christianity, culture, social justice, and the environment. Articles and headlines often hold a Christian-Left bias and utilize loaded emotional language such as this U.S. POLICING IS BROKEN. CHRISTIANS MUST REIMAGINE PUBLIC SAFETY and TIME FOR SOME GOOD NEWS TO THE POOR. Articles reviewed are usually properly sourced and align with the Democratic party politically.
Editorially, Sojourners aligns with the left, especially as it pertains to social justice and climate change. In general, the news is reported factually and with a moderate left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Sojourners Left-Center Bias based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 4/2/2017) Updated (4/25/2021)
Last Updated on April 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds