A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- In conclusion, the SE Illinois News is an imposter site, lacks transparency, and publishes false information. As a result, we rate them right-center, biased, and Questionable.
Questionable Reasoning: Imposter Site, Lack of Transparency, False Information
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
The SE Illinois News is a conservative news and opinion website published by the Illinois-based Local Government Information Services (LGIS) that is designed to look like a local news source. They are a part of Brian Timpone’s Imposter website network with over 1200 websites with the same design and an about page that reads “We believe in limited government, in the constructive role of the free market, and in the rights of citizens to choose the size and scope of their government and the role it should play in their society.”
West Cook News lacks transparency as they do not disclose funding or ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
The LGIS website does not accurately disclose ownership; however, The Metric Media Foundation funds each local website. The CEO of Metric Media is conservative political consultant Bradley Cameron. Each website receives revenue through advertising and donations to the Metric Media Foundation. The Foundation then funds the websites’ production.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the SE Illinois News is one of over 1200 conservative-leaning news websites published by Local Government Information Services (LGIS)/Metric Media Foundation. Each of the websites in the network has the same design and generally relies on algorithmically produced content. Furthermore, the original content produced on the website holds a right-leaning editorial bias. Please see the full review of Metric Media websites here.
Failed Fact Checks
- See Metric Media
In conclusion, SE Illinois News is an imposter site, lacks transparency, and publishes false information. As a result, we rate them right-center, biased, and Questionable. (D. Van Zandt 09/10/2021) Updated (09/19/2022)
Last Updated on September 19, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am