These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Sapiens Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Pro-Science and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2016, Sapiens is a digital magazine covering anthropology. According to their about page the “mission is to bring anthropology—the study of being human—to the public, to make a difference in how people see themselves and the people around them. Our objective is to deepen your understanding of the human experience by exploring exciting, novel, thought-provoking, and unconventional ideas. Through news coverage, features, commentaries, reviews, photo essays, and much more, we work closely with anthropologists and journalists to craft intriguing and innovative ways of sharing the discipline with a worldwide audience.”
The website provides a staff page that indicates Chip Colwell is the Editor-in-Chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Sapiens is fully funded by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, Inc, which is a “private operating foundation dedicated to the advancement of anthropology throughout the world.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, Sapiens publishes news about anthropology. Most information is science-based and free from bias such as this: Should the Story of Homo’s Dispersal Out of Africa Be Rewritten? This story like all others is properly sourced to either credible media outlets or scientific publications.
Sapiens also publishes editorials that are negative toward the Trump administration such as this: A Field Guide to Trump’s Swamp. Further, the website features a section called Culture Lab that looks at social issues from a left-leaning perspective, Are Mixed-Income Neighborhoods the Best Answer for Public Housing?
When first reviewing this site I felt it would belong in our pro-science category as almost everything is science-based. However, Sapiens also publishes a lot of political content that falls to the left of center.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Sapiens Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Pro-Science and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 9/19/2019)
Last Updated on August 9, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am