These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Salina Journal Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Salina Journal is a newspaper that serves Salina, Kansas, and the surrounding area. The paper covers local, national, and international news, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, and opinion. salina.com serves as the online domain for the newspaper.
Funded by / Ownership
Gannett, the publisher of USA Today, owns The Salina Journal. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. Advertising and paid subscriptions generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Salina Journal covers news, sports, lifestyle, and entertainment for the greater Salina, Kansas area. They report local news with minimal loaded emotional language In major decision, Kansas Supreme Court rules against Walmart, Sam’s Club in property tax dispute. National and international news comes from other Gannett publications and the Associated Press.
Editorially, The Salina Journal does not make Presidential endorsements; however, a review of op-eds shows that both sides are represented, such as this that favors the left: Experts say this flu season could be a doozy. Protect yourself, and loved ones, by getting vaccine. After reviewing dozens of op-eds, we found slightly more favor a liberal perspective. Finally, the news is generally reported factually and with a slight left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Salina Journal Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt 07/04/2022)
Last Updated on July 4, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/19/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Higher Perspectiveby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Brian Stelter to depart CNN as it cancels 'Reliable Sources' media showby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 6:10 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/18/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bemidji Pioneerby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/17/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 17, 2022 at 10:30 am