These sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan is currently the President of Turkey. He is the head of the Justice and Development Party (AKP). President Erdogan has established himself as an authoritarian leader through constitutional changes. We assign Recep Tayyip Erdogan a Right Bias and Mixed factual rating due to his promoting propaganda and media censorship to support his leadership.
About Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Title: President (since August 28, 2014)
Political Party: Justice and Development Party (AKP)
Political Alignment: Right Islamist Populist
Factual Rating: MIXED
- Mayor of Istanbul (1994 – 1998)
- Co-founded the Justice and Development Party (AKP) (2001)
- Prime Minister of Turkey (2003 – 2014)
- President of Turkey (2014 – Present)
Erdogan is a co-founder and the current leader of the Justice and Development Party (AKP). The AKP is a right-wing Islamist party that has used a combination of religion, nationalism, and populism to promote its political agenda and consolidate its power in Turkey. The party has implemented stricter regulations on abortion and increased taxes on alcohol consumption, leading some to accuse it of undermining Turkey’s secularism.
Critics have accused the AKP of promoting Islamism, but others argue that it has evolved to resemble the Christian Democratic party in Germany. Erdogan implemented economic and political reforms emphasizing Turkey’s Islamic identity. However, while consolidating power, Erdogan has faced criticism for his growing authoritarianism, including the suppression of the media and critics. Erdogan replaced Turkey’s parliamentary system with a presidential one, leading to concerns about a concentration of power. Erdogan has also shifted towards an assertive foreign policy, focusing on expanding Turkey’s military and diplomatic influence through interventions in other countries.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- “There is neither a political discussion, nor a battle of ideas, nor a struggle for service.” – Misleading
- “We have started a historic transformation in the economy by launching a process of growth in our country on the basis of investment, employment, production, exporting and current account surplus.” – Misleading
- “The promised 6 billion euros — they [Brussels] did not release. Now they say they will allocate 1 billion euros. Who are you lying to?” – Misleading
(M. Huitsing 03/31/2023)
Last Updated on March 31, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources