Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate Prison Planet a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy and Quackery level Pseudoscience site based on the promotion of consistent false and misleading information that has been debunked by science and fact-checkers.
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2001, Prison Planet is a news and opinion website associated with Alex Jones (Infowars). The website lacks transparency as they do not offer an about page, but they do list Alex Jones as the Director and Publisher. The website frequently promotes far-right conspiracy theories and pseudoscience.
Read our profile on United States government and media.
Funded by / Ownership
Prison Planet is owned by Alex Jones through Free Speech Systems, LLC. Revenue is derived through advertising, donations, and the sale of merchandise and Jones’ pseudo-nutritional products.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Prison Planet publishes news, articles, and videos from a far-right perspective that often are false or misleading. Articles and headlines use emotionally loaded language such as this UK Could Be Flooded With Hundreds of ISIS Terrorists After Shamima Begum Ruling. This story is unsourced. Articles frequently denigrate liberals and promote misleading scientific information such as this Face Masks Mandated by UK Government Specifically Say They Don’t Protect Against COVID-19. Face Masks are scientifically proven to reduce the transmission of Covid-19: Face Masks Reduce Wearer’s COVID Infection Risk by 65%.
Prison Planet is best known for advancing Alex Jones’ debunked conspiracy theories and pseudoscience. For example, they promote anti-vaccine propaganda, alternative medicine, chemtrails, and the advancement of racist themes such as the notion of white genocide. Finally, this story promotes a George Soros conspiracy and climate change denialism in one package Soros-Linked Group Joins MSM To Censor And Purge Climate Change Skeptics On YouTube. In general, this source is not credible on any level.
Failed Fact Checks
- Amid the “crisis at our southern border,” there are “reports of illegal migrants carrying deadly diseases such as … Ebola virus.” – Pants on Fire
- A California halfway house resident was promised $300 if he voted for Hillary Clinton. – False
- Chelsea Clinton’s 2010 wedding was paid for by the Clinton Foundation. – Unproven
- Conspiracy claims that Syrian gas attack was ‘false flag’ are unproven – Unproven
- President Barack Obama’s policies have forced “many parts of the country to experience rolling blackouts.” – Pants on Fire
- “Fluoride in the water, that was originally done by the Nazis!” – Pants on Fire
Overall, we rate Prison Planet a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy and Quackery level Pseudoscience site based on the promotion of consistent false and misleading information that has been debunked by science and fact-checkers. (D. Van Zandt 8/10/2016) Updated (7/16/2020)
Last Updated on November 3, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources