These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate OpEdNews Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of unsourced information and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2003, OpEdNews is an open progressive forum for opinion and news. It is a hybrid news, community blog, and article aggregation site that publishes opinion-based articles, news stories, and diaries while its mission, according to the site, is to “… provide a content management, social networking website that supports progressive communications resources and tools for activism and advocacy organizations.” Rob Krall is the founder and editor.
Funded by / Ownership
OpEdNews is owned by Rob Krall with revenue derived through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, because each individual author is wholly responsible for the content she or he submits, veracity varies with the individual writer and it’s entirely up to readers to assess journalistic quality and bias. There is no firewall between biased opinion and well-sourced analytical reporting. Volunteer editors moderate the posts for bad taste and seek to discourage libelous and slanderous content. Posts the editors like get headlined on the front page. Frequent contributors may earn the trust of the publisher and bypass editor pre-screening to post directly. Spirited and thought-provoking discussions often follow articles as comments. In general, the news is factual and left-leaning, however, sometimes information is unsourced.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate OpEdNews Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of unsourced information and a failed fact check. (R. Shreve 3/4/2017) Updated (3/28/2021)
Last Updated on March 28, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am