These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate NK News Least Biased based on neutral wording and balanced coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to poor sourcing but a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2010, NK News is a daily English-language news analysis site regarding North Korea. NK News is headquartered in Delaware, U.S.A. The founder and editor is Chad O’Carroll. Its sister platform NK Pro is subscription-based. NK News offers a limited number of articles for free, and the rest is subscription-based.
Funded by / Ownership
NK Consulting, Inc. owns NK News. They offer a limited number of articles for free, and the rest is subscription-based.
Analysis / Bias
Under the category “News,” NK News utilizes minimally loaded language in their headlines, such as “Give Kim an offer he can’t refuse: exchange nukes for economic modernization” however, they source poorly without any links to back their claims.
Under the category investigation, NK News publishes investigative articles such as “The mysterious network filling social media with anti-North Korea graphics.” In this article, they linked to sources such as social media accounts Instagram, Vimeo, and various blogs related to the subject investigated, however when we clicked the links, most accounts were removed after their investigation. Although NK News does not always source properly, a factual search reveals they have never failed a fact check.
Under the category “Ask a North Korean,” articles are published with a personal essay style written by North Koreans residing in South Korea. Example: “The Kim Jong Un – Moon Jae-in summit: why it was so personal for me.” NK News also has a content syndication agreement with The Guardian, which MBFC rates as Mixed for factual reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate NK News Least Biased based on neutral wording and balanced coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to poor sourcing but a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/26/2018) Updated (02/02/2022)
Last Updated on February 2, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am