A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate the News18 right-center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Questionable based on a poor fact-checking record with numerous false claims.
Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, False Information, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
News18.com is the online division of CNN-News18. Launched in 2005, CNN-News18 (formerly CNN-IBN) is an English-language Indian news television channel based in India. The news channel CNN-News18 (English) is part of a brand and content licensing agreement with CNN that combines content from CNN International for global news, delivering Breaking News, Latest News, Sports News, Entertainment News, national events from India, Business, Politics, and more. The Chairman of News18 is Adil Zainulbhai.
Funded by / Ownership
News18 is owned by the Indian media conglomerate Network18 Group (one of India’s biggest media conglomerates). Reliance Industries is the parent company of Network18 Group, which Mukesh Ambani owns. According to Forbes, he is the richest person in Asia in 2021. Advertising generates revenue for the station.
Analysis / Bias
In review, News18 publishes national news with strongly loaded emotional language such as this “What Explains PM Narendra Modi’s Silence Despite Criticism.” This story does not contain hyperlinked sourcing. This editorial was written by Brajesh Kumar Singh and praised conservative PM Narendra Modi with quotes that read, “Those who watch Modi closely say that there is nothing new about this. Modi uses his silence as his weapon, and as the right opportunity arrives, he settles the score.” “Modi is a superstar on social media,” and “The fragmented opposition.” For sourcing, News18 utilizes The Press Trust of India Ltd news agency “Indian-origin Woman Kicked, Hurled with Racial Abuses for Not Wearing Mask in Singapore.”
Reuters, AFP (Agence France Presse), New York Times, and CNN provide international news. In general, there is a right-leaning editorial bias in favor of the conservative Prime Minister, while some news is not factually based.
Failed Fact Checks
- ‘Pakistan zindabad’ chanted after UP panchayat poll result – False
- News18 Share Image of Tunnel in US as Atal Tunnel – False
- Mahagathbandhan candidate Aaftab Alam arrested for 2013 Patna blast case – False
- Man jumps into floodwater from four-stories building in Pakistan – False
- Video shows a recent incident of Chinese national beating Pakistani driver in Karachi – False
SAARC and other nations join PM Modi-led effort to switch off lights, light candles – False
Overall, we rate the News18 right-center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Questionable based on a poor fact-checking record with numerous false claims. (M. Huitsing 5/10/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am