These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) Left-Center Biased based on the promotion of sustainable resources and concern for climate change. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2013, the Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) monitors economic reconstruction in the country, focusing on the oil industry, to ensure it is managed responsibly. The primary goal is to promote sustainable and inclusive development. The current president is Daniel Kaufmann.
Funded by / Ownership
The Natural Resource Governance Institute was established through the merger of the Revenue Watch Institute and the Natural Resource Charter in 2013. Funding is provided through donations. According to their financial page “NRGI’s donors for 2019 include philanthropies like the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Ford Foundation, Luminate, the Open Society Foundations, and the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation; and public sector donors including the governments of Germany, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, and multilateral institutions such as the World Bank and the African Legal Support Facility.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, NRGI supports civil society organizations, government institutions, private sector enterprises, and the media with technical advice, advocacy, applied research, policy analysis, and capacity development with regard to natural resource governance. In general, they provide information for resource-rich countries to use their natural resources for sustainable development. NRGI has a news section where they publish press releases as well as news from other organizations such as this from the Guardian: Secretive national oil companies hold our climate in their hands. When it comes to science NRGI is pro-science with acceptance of human-influenced climate change.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) Left-Center Biased based on the promotion of sustainable resources and concern for climate change. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/18/2016) Updated (01/25/2021)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am