These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate MSN News strongly Left-Center biased, with most stories coming from Left-Center sources. We also rate them High for factual reporting because the majority of sources used are credible media outlets.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: News Agency
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
MSN is a web portal and related collection of Internet services and apps for Windows and mobile devices, provided by Microsoft and launched on August 24, 1995, the same release date as Windows 95. MSN aggregates news from a wide variety of mainstream sources. The MSN News homepage breaks the news into categories such as World, US, Business, Politics, Local, etc.
Funded by / Ownership
Microsoft owns MSN News.
Analysis / Bias
Determining the bias of a news aggregator is different from a single source that produces original content. The wording on MSN News comes from other sources, so we will not even look at that as a factor. The most logical way to determine the bias of a news aggregator is to look at the sources they use for their news content. To accomplish this, we looked at what sources were being used in US News and World News categories. Over the course of three days, we looked at the top 25 sources in each category for a total of 150 sources calculated. We then compared these sources to our bias ratings and calculated what percentage comes from each bias category.
Overall, most stories on MSN News come from Left-Center sources (51%) and 31% from Least Biased sources. Further, Right-Center sources only made up 1% of the news and Right biased 5%, while on the other hand, 12% of stories come from the Left Biased category. When looking at purely left-leaning vs. right-leaning sources, the numbers favor the left. See the charts below:
We are not stating MSN is willfully biased; we are pointing out that the sources used to have a preference for the left according to our ratings. This could be due to how the algorithm works and that there are more mainstream news media that leans left.
Overall, we rate MSN News strongly Left-Center biased, with most stories coming from Left-Center sources. We also rate them High for factual reporting because the majority of sources used are credible media outlets. (6/2/2017) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/29/2018)
Last Updated on April 20, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am