These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Mongabay Left-Center biased based on environmental advocacy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and serving pro-science information.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Mongabay is a website that publishes news on environmental science, energy, and green design and features extensive information on tropical rainforests, including pictures and deforestation statistics for countries worldwide. It was founded in 1999. Mongabay was also ranked as one of the top 15 environmental websites by Time Magazine.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, Mongabay publishes news and research related to the environment and conservation. Their mission is to “raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to tropical forests and other ecosystems, to wildlife, and to the important role that natural ecosystems play in maintaining critical services, including stabilizing the global climate system. To achieve this, Mongabay.org creates educational materials in several languages and provides opportunities for science journalists to report on environmental issues through well-established online platforms.”
Articles and headlines sometimes utilize loaded emotional language such as this The thick of it: Delving into the neglected global impacts of human waste. All information is properly sourced to credible outlets such as scientific journals, WHO, and Columbia University. Editorially, they lean left with their support for conservation and concern for the environment.
Failed Fact Check
- None in the Last 5 years. Fact-checkers use them.
Overall, we rate Mongabay Left-Center biased based on environmental advocacy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and serving pro-science information. (D. Van Zandt 3/18/2018) Updated (01/15/2022)
Last Updated on January 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am